Wednesday 10 November 2010

"Cuddling people into doing things"

I was having coffee, catching up with an old client when she used this phrase “Oh yes, he’s very good at cuddling people into doing things”. What a brilliant expression I thought!

It reminded me that the best leaders really engage at an emotional level. People talk about cross-functional teams and sweat the fact that they don’t have the people delivering their results reporting in to them.

I know the person in question and I’ve observed how he gets results - without seeking authority or permission, he transmits passion and enthusiasm for a project so that people just join him on his journey - putting discretionary effort in way beyond their ‘day job’.

He collects people and connects them - to him, to the mission, to each other. Eh voila! - results are delivered. Delivered in timescales not thought possible and with less budget. No better argument for Emotional Intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment